Shelter In Place: Driving anywhere on October 13th? Going shopping? Going to the airport? Better think again and plan to shelter in place. The Kona Ironman World Championship race is going to close most major roads for much of the day.
West Hawaii Today reports, Kona Ironman World Championship: Road Closures
Akoni Pule Highway (270) between Kawaihae/Waimea Junction (19) and Hawi
- Road closed (8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.)
- Alternate Route to Hawi is Kohala Mountain Road (Hwy 250), which runs from Waimea to Hawi
Queen Kaahumanu Highway between Waimea Junction (270 &19) and NELHA
- Road closed (7 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.)
- Alternate Route for traffic between the hotels, the airport and Kona will be via Waikoloa Village Road, Mamalahoa Highway 190, Kaiminani Drive (Palisades) and the Ane Keohokalole Highway, race traffic permitting.
Queen Kaahumanu Highway between NELHA and Henry Street
- Road closed (6:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.)
- Alternate Route for traffic between Palani Rd. and Hina Lani St. is the Ane Keohokalole Highway.
CLOSURES FOR KAILUA TOWN AND ALII DRIVE
Oct. 11, at 6 a.m. through Sunday, Oct. 14 at 2 p.m.
- Kailua Pier to Likana Lane (Hulihee Palace) closed (Thursday 9 a.m. to Sunday 2 p.m.)
- Likana Lane (Hulihee Palace) to Hualalai Road closed (Saturday. 9 a.m. to 1 a.m.)
- Hualalai Road to Laaloa Ave. closed, with limited access for residents as safety permits (Sat 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.)
- Kailua Pier to Courtyard Marriott King Kamehameha’s Kona Beach Hotel closed (Thursday 6 a.m. to Sunday 2 p.m.)
- Courtyard Marriott King Kamehameha’s Kona Beach Hotel to Kuakini Highway closed (Saturday 6 a.m. to 1 a.m.)
- Kuakini Highway to Queen Kaahumanu Highway westbound lanes closed (Sat 6 a.m. to 1 a.m.)
- Kuakini Highway to Queen Kaahumanu Highway eastbound lanes CLOSED (Sat 6:30 a.m. to 1 a.m.)
- Palani Road to Makala Boulevard closed (Saturday 6:30 a.m. to 6 p.m.)
- Palani Road to Hualalai Road closed (Saturday 6:30 a.m. to noon)
- Palani Road to Hualalai Road, south lane closed (Sat 10 a.m. to 12:30 a.m.)
- Palani Road to just before Kahakai Estates subdivision closed with limited access for residents as safety permits, Saturday 6:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m
• Kuakini Highway to Queen Kaahumanu Highway closed (Saturday 6:30 a.m. to 6 p.m.)
• Alii Drive to Kuakini Highway closed (Saturday 6:30 a.m. to 12:30 a.m.)