Hawaii FAQs: Climate, Tourism, Cost of Living, and More
People have tons of questions about Hawaii, what it’s like to live there, how expensive it is, what the climate is like, etc. This comprehensive list should provide you with all sorts of questions and answers about everything you should know about Hawaii! Or if you have a question that isn’t listed below, feel free to contact us!
Accommodations and Lodging
- Can I camp on the beach in Hawaii?
- Are there igloos in Hawaii?
- Why are hotel prices so high in Hawaii?
- Can I stay at someone’s house for free in Hawaii?
- Are there any all-inclusive resorts in Hawaii?
- Are there any eco-friendly hotels in Hawaii?
Activities and Attractions
- Can I drive to the top of Mauna Kea?
- Can I touch the lava at a volcano in Hawaii?
- Can I see a volcanic eruption in Hawaii?
- Is it free to enter the Hawaiian national parks?
- Can I find a beach with pink sand in Hawaii?
- Can I visit Pearl Harbor by boat?
- Can I get a tan at night?
- Is there a “best” island to visit?
- Are there any indoor beaches in Hawaii?
- Can I rent a snowmobile in Hawaii?
- Are there any ski resorts in Hawaii?
- Can I play ice hockey in Hawaii?
- Can I make my own lei?
- What is the story and history behind Pu’uhonua O Honaunau?
Culture and Language
- Do Hawaiians speak English?
- Why are there so many Japanese people in Hawaii?
- What language do they speak in Hawaii?
- Can I find a Hula dancing class?
- Is it okay to wear a grass skirt in Hawaii?
- Are Hawaiian shirts mandatory for men?
- Do Hawaiians wear shoes?
- When is the annual hula festival in Hawaii?
- Can I attend a traditional Hawaiian wedding?
- Are there any Christmas parades in Hawaii?
- What are some local customs and traditions in Hawaii?
Education and Employment
- Do Hawaiian students have to learn how to surf in school?
- Are there any universities in Hawaii?
- Can I get a job as a professional beach bum?
- How do I become a Hawaiian tour guide?
Etiquette and Customs
- How do I properly greet a Hawaiian elder?
- Is it okay to wear a flower in my hair?
- How do I show respect at sacred sites in Hawaii?
- What is the traditional Hawaiian way to say thank you?
Food and Drinks
- Do Hawaiians serve Spam at every meal?
- Can I eat a coconut right off the tree?
- Why is poke so popular in Hawaii?
- Can I drink tap water in Hawaii?
- Why are there so many pineapple dishes in Hawaii?
- Are there any Michelin-star restaurants in Hawaii?
- Why is Spam so popular in Hawaii?
Geography and Climate
- Is Hawaii a country?
- Can you see Hawaii from the mainland?
- How do the Hawaiian islands stay afloat?
- How common are earthquakes in Hawaii?
- Is there a rainy season in Hawaii?
- Does it ever snow in Hawaii?
- Why is it so hot in Hawaii?
- Do the Hawaiian islands ever get cold?
- Are the beaches on Hawaii imported?
- Can I take a volcanic rock from Hawaii?
- Are the volcanoes in Hawaii always erupting?
- How do they keep the Hawaiian islands clean?
- What are the last notable volcanic eruptions in Hawaii?
- How many climatic zones are found on the Big Island of Hawaii?
- How did the Hawaiian Islands form?
- How many hurricanes have impacted Hawaii?
- What are the wettest and driest parts of the Big Island?
History and Politics
- When did Hawaii become a part of the United States?
- How old is the oldest Hawaiian island?
- Who was the first Hawaiian king?
- Can I vote in Hawaii’s elections if I’m on vacation?
Living in Hawaii
- What are some reasons people move to Hawaii?
- What are some reasons people move back to the mainland?
- Is there a time difference between the islands?
- Why are there so many rainbows in Hawaii?
- Do people in Hawaii live in grass huts?
- Why are there so many solar panels in Hawaii?
- What are the closest mainland cities to Hawaii?
- What are the closest international cities to Hawaii?
- Why don’t local Hawaiians driving cars honk their horns?
- Why is it so expensive to live in Hawaii?
- Why isn’t everyone surfing all the time?
- Do I need to wear sunscreen in Hawaii?
- Are there any nude beaches in Hawaii?
- Can I bring my pet with me to Hawaii?
- Are there any casinos in Hawaii?
- Can you mail a coconut from Hawaii to the mainland?
- Can I swim to another island in Hawaii?
- Why are there no billboards in Hawaii?
Myths and Legends
- Can I find a real-life Menehune in Hawaii?
- Are there any haunted places in Hawaii?
- Can I meet the goddess Pele?
- Do rainbows have a special meaning in Hawaiian culture?
- What is the complete and thorough Hawaiian legend of Pele?
- What are some examples of Pele in action?
- What is the story or legend behind the Hawaiian nightwalkers?
Safety and Health
- Is it safe to walk around at night in Hawaii?
- Are there any poisonous plants in Hawaii?
- Do I need any vaccinations to visit Hawaii?
- What’s the emergency number in Hawaii?
- Is it safe to swim in the ocean in Hawaii?
Shopping in Hawaii
- Why aren’t there any Trader Joe’s stores in Hawaii?
- Can I use US dollars in Hawaii?
- Why are groceries in Hawaii so expensive?
- Are there Walmart stores in Hawaii?
- Where can I find a Louis Vuitton store in Hawaii?
- Do they sell winter clothes in Hawaii?
- Where can I buy an authentic Hawaiian quilt?
- Is it okay to bring home a tiki statue?
- What are ways that locals in Hawaii easily recognize tourists?
- Do I need a passport to travel to Hawaii?
- Do I need to bring my own snorkel gear in Hawaii?
- What are some common misconceptions about Hawaii?
- Can you drive to Hawaii from the mainland?
- Are there bridges to the other islands?
- Are there subways in Hawaii?
- Can I take an Uber to another island?
- Why aren’t there more highways in Hawaii?
- Can I rent a bicycle to ride between the islands?
Travel Tips and Advice
- What is the best time to visit Hawaii?
- How do I avoid tourist traps in Hawaii?
- Are there any hidden gems I should visit?
- Can I rent a car on one island and return it on another?
- Do I need to bring a power adapter to Hawaii?
- Can I use my cellphone in Hawaii?