Can You Drive to Hawaii from the Mainland?
How Far is Hawaii From Mainland USA?
How far is Hawaii from the mainland USA? Hawaii is approximately 2,000 miles (3,200 km) from the US mainland. The Hawaiian Islands are located in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, with a distance of over 2,400 miles of open ocean from the west coast of the US.
What are the Possible Driving Routes to Get to Hawaii from the Mainland?
1. Drive to the West Coast and take a plane to Hawaii.
If you want to drive to the West Coast and take a plane to Hawaii, first you should plan your route carefully. The trip from the mainland to Hawaii is about 2,400 miles, and there are no roads or ferries available for the journey.
From the West Coast, the closest airport to Hawaii is in Los Angeles, California. You can then take a direct flight to Honolulu International Airport (HNL), which is the main airport in Hawaii. The flight time is around 5 hours and 15 minutes.
Once you arrive in Hawaii, you can rent a car to explore the islands. Be sure to get a rental car agreement for each island you plan to drive on, as it’s not possible to take a car ferry between them. Enjoy your time exploring the lush mountains, crystal clear waters, and rich culture of Hawaii!
2. Drive to the West Coast and take a ferry to Hawaii.
Unfortunately it is not possible to drive to Hawaii from the mainland United States due to the distance. To get to Hawaii from the US mainland, the best option is to fly. However, if you are determined to take a car to Hawaii, there are a few steps you can take.
First, you can choose to drive to the West Coast. Depending on where you are located, this could take several days, so make sure to plan ahead and fill up on gas often. From the West Coast, you can then take a ferry to Hawaii.
Unfortunately, no ferry service transports passengers to Hawaii, so you will need to look into cargo ships instead. It is possible to arrange a trip with a shipping company, but it will be costly and take 3-4 days to get to the islands.
Once you have arrived in Hawaii, you can look into renting a car or bring your own car over via military transport. Keep in mind that shipping your car via freight is very expensive.
Ultimately, flying will be the quickest and most efficient way to get to Hawaii. But if you have the time and resources, taking a car is a great way to experience the islands up close and personal.
3. Drive to the Midwest and take a plane to Hawaii.
If you’re looking for a road trip to the Midwest before flying off to Hawaii, you’re in luck. You can easily and cheaply drive from the mainland US to various airports in the Midwest and take a plane from there to Hawaii.
Step 1: Plan your road trip route and book your accommodation. Use a map or a GPS app to determine the best route from your home or start point to a Midwest airport. Book your accommodation and plan stops along the way, if you need to.
Step 2: Pack all the necessary items for your road trip, including an extra pair of clothes and toiletries. Make sure to check the airline’s restrictions and pack accordingly.
Step 3: Once you’ve reached the Midwest, find an airport near you and book your flight to Hawaii. Make sure to check the rules and regulations of the airline that you’re flying with.
Step 4: Make sure you arrive at the airport at least an hour before your flight. Go through the security check, check your bags in, and board the plane.
Step 5: Once you’ve arrived in Hawaii, you can rent a car at the airport and explore the stunning islands. Enjoy your vacation!
4. Drive to the Midwest and take a ferry to Hawaii.
Driving to Hawaii from the Midwest is not possible due to the islands’ remote location in the North Pacific Ocean. The only way to reach Hawaii from the Midwest is by air or by sea.
- Fly to Hawaii: Book a flight from an airport in the Midwest to Honolulu, Hawaii. Make sure to book a return flight as well.
- Rent a Car: After arriving in Honolulu, you can rent a car from a car rental company. You can then use the car to explore the islands.
- Take a Ferry: There are no car ferries between the islands, so if you want to visit multiple islands, you’ll need to take a ferry or fly between them. You can take a ferry from the island of Oahu to the other Hawaiian Islands.
- Enjoy the Islands: Once you’ve reached the other islands, you can explore and enjoy the natural beauty and charm of Hawaii.
5. Drive to the East Coast and take a plane to Hawaii.
If you’re planning a trip to Hawaii from the East Coast, the best option is to fly. However, if you’d like to take your car with you, it’s possible to ship it to Hawaii via various freight services. Here are the steps to do this:
- Find a reliable freight shipping service. Make sure to get multiple quotes in order to find the best price.
- Schedule a pickup of your car from your current location and arrange for it to be shipped to Hawaii.
- Once the car has been shipped, book a flight for yourself and your passengers to Hawaii.
- Upon arrival in Hawaii, rent a car at the airport and explore the island until your car has arrived.
- Collect your car and explore the island of your choice.
- When your trip is over, drop off your rental car and fly back home.
6. Drive to the East Coast and take a ferry to Hawaii.
Getting to Hawaii from the East Coast via ferry is not possible since the distance between Hawaii and the East Coast is too far. The only way to get to Hawaii from the US mainland is via flight. Once you are in Hawaii, you can rent a car to explore the islands. However, it is not possible to take a car ferry between the islands, so you will need a new car rental agreement for each island you plan to drive on.
If you are looking for an alternative to flying, you can take a cruise to Hawaii. Cruises to Hawaii typically depart from the West Coast and take about 7-10 days. On the cruise, you will be able to explore all four main islands of Hawaii and enjoy the stunning scenery from the ship.
Alternatively, you can look for cargo ships that sail from the East Coast to Hawaii. These trips usually take a few weeks but can be a unique experience. You will be able to explore the ship and see the scenery while you travel.
Whichever option you choose, you will need to arrange your flights to the departure port of your chosen mode of transport. Once you arrive in Hawaii, you can rent a car to get around and explore the islands.
7. Drive to Canada and take a plane or ferry to Hawaii.
If you’re looking to visit Hawaii from the mainland US, then you’ll need to fly or take a ferry to get there. Unfortunately, it’s not possible to drive to Hawaii due to the islands remote location in the centre of the North Pacific Ocean – located more than 2000 miles off the coast of California, a bridge or tunnel to the islands from the US mainland is completely unfeasible.
Here are the steps you’ll need to take to get to Hawaii:
- Drive to Canada. This is the easiest way to get to Hawaii by car, as there is a direct flight from Canada to Hawaii.
- Take a flight or ferry from Canada to Hawaii. Depending on where you are in Canada, you can take a flight or ferry to reach Hawaii.
- Once in Hawaii, you can rent a car to explore the islands. It’s not possible to take a car ferry between the islands, so you’ll need a new car rental agreement for each island you plan to drive on.
With these steps, you’ll be able to enjoy the beauty of Hawaii in no time. Enjoy!
8. Drive to Mexico and take a plane or ferry to Hawaii.
If you are planning on travelling from Mexico to Hawaii, you have two main options – flying or taking a ferry.
- Book a flight from Mexico to Hawaii.
- Ensure you have all the necessary travel documents and visas for the flight.
- Check-in at least 2 hours prior to the departure of your flight at the airport.
- Once you arrive in Hawaii, you can rent a car and begin your vacation.
- Take a flight from Mexico to Los Angeles, California.
- From Los Angeles, you can take a ferry to the Hawaiian Islands.
- Make sure that you have all the necessary documents and visas for the ferry.
- Once you arrive in Hawaii, you can rent a car and begin your vacation.
These are the steps you should take to travel from Mexico to Hawaii. It is also important to note that there is no direct route from the mainland U.S. to Hawaii, so flying or taking a ferry is the only way to get to the islands.
How Long Would it Take to Drive to Hawaii From the Mainland?
Driving to Hawaii from the mainland is not possible due to its remote location in the center of the North Pacific Ocean, which is over 2000 miles away from the US mainland. The only feasible way to get there is by plane, which can take 4 to 5 hours door to door. Cruise ships and cargo ships are also options, but would take over a week to reach the islands from the US mainland.