Prepare for Flooding – Determine If You Are In A Likely Flood Zone
Is Your Hawai’i Property Located In A Flood Hazard? You can enter your exact address, anywhere in Hawaii, and the Hawai‘i Flood Hazard Assessment Tool will indicate where flood hazards exist near you. Note: Even if you are not in a ‘normal’ flood zone, heavy rains from a tropical storm or hurricane can flood almost anywhere.
Click For Searchable Flood Hazard Map (Kona & All Of Hawaii)
Prepare for Flooding – Before The Flood
Know The Difference Between Homeowners Insurance vs Hurricane Insurance vs Flood Insurance
- Reduce the risk of damage from flooding by elevating critical utilities, such as electrical panels, switches, sockets, wiring, appliances, and heating systems.
- In areas with repetitive flooding, consider elevating the entire structure.
- Make sure basements are waterproofed and your sump pump is working. Then, install a battery-operated backup in case of power failure.
- Installing a water alarm will also let you know if water is accumulating in your basement.
- Clear debris from gutters and downspouts.
- Anchor any fuel tanks.
- Move furniture, valuables and important documents to a safe place.
- Store copies of irreplaceable documents (such as birth certificates, passports, etc.) in a safe, dry place. Keep originals in a safe deposit box.
- Build an emergency supply kit. Food, bottled water, first aid supplies, medicines, and a battery-operated radio should be ready to go when you are. Visit Ready.gov for a complete disaster supply checklist.
- Plan and practice a flood evacuation route. Ask someone out of state to be your “family contact” in an emergency, and make sure everyone knows the contact’s address and phone number.
- Make a pet plan. Many shelters do not allow pets. Make plans now on what to do with your pets if you are required to evacuate your residence.
- Homeowners Insurance vs Hurricane Insurance vs Flood Insurance – What’s The Difference?
- Hawaii Hurricane Preparedness Checklist – 20+ Immediate Tips: ʻOhana Planning for Hurricane Safety
- Hurricane Preparedness: The Most Overlooked Hurricane Prep Items (Are Surprising)…